REGIONAL PECULIARITIES OF ETHNIC PROCESSES IN UKRAINE CENSUS 1989 AND 2001.
The article discusses the regional characteristics of ethnic processes of the Ukrainian population, the number of ethnic minorities. Conducted geographic analysis of regional features of ethnic minorities of Ukraine for the census years 1989-2001. The analysis of statistical data of censuses of 1989 and 2001 has revealed that less intense drawdown suffered by those minorities that had a compact type of settlement, especially in rural areas. Conversely, the number of minorities that were dispersed mainly settled in the cities declined more intensively. Thus, among the total population of Ukraine the level of the share of each of the minorities has been negligible. Reduction in the total number of ethnic minority groups occurred mainly at the expense of the Russians, who were concentrated in the cities of the Eastern and southern regions. A significant reduction in the number of minorities in the southern and Eastern regions was offset by new migration flows in Ukraine since independence. The South and East became the main area of concentration in Ukraine new migrants, first of all, the representatives of the Caucasian ethnic groups: Armenians, Azerbaijanis and Georgians, and Koreans and Meskhetian Turks. Direct impact on the increase in the total number of ethnic groups in the Crimea, the Crimean Tatars ‘ return.
Key words: ethnic composition, ethnic group, ethnic processes, ethnic structure, ethnic minorities, the census.
- Derzhavniy komіtet statistiki Ukraіni [Elektronniy resurs]/ Sposіb dostupu: URL: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua
- Makarchuk, S.A. Etnografіya Ukraіni [Elektronniy resurs]/ Sposіb dostupu: URL:http://www.ebk.net.ua/Book/history/makarchuk_eu /introduction.htm
- Rezul’tati perepisu naselennya [Elektronniy resurs]/ Sposіb dostupu: URL: http://polityka.in.ua/tomenko/content.php?id=pc01-2003-03
- Sayt Vseukraіns’kogo perepisu [Elektronniy resurs]/ Sposіb dostupu: URL:http://www.ukrcensus.gov.ua/ukr/org/org_main.php
- Tivodar, M. Etnologіya: Navch. posіbn. [Tekst] / M.Tivodar — L’vіv: Svіt, 2004.— 624 s.